Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sorry Man

I feel bad today, the salon let my friend go. I tried to not think about it all day but it got me feeling really down. I feel that the guy has been tossed around from salon to salon and no one ever helps him get grounded.

To all stylist starting off in this career... from the bottom of my heart, I will say that doing this is not easy. In fact it can be really hard on your self. First off you have to know lots of people to stay busy. Second when your not busy you have to learn to keep to yourself and be strong. Also make sure you are ready to be on the floor. Just because you have that pieace of paper,aka, license, it doesn't mean that your a stylist just yet.

When I got out of school it took one horrible blow dry to realize I wasn't fit to be behind the chair just like that. I stood behind the stylist as a back up, an apprentice. I watched them take sections skillfully in their hand, hold it up and point cut with such focus. It takes time to build that eye.

I went through a year and a half watching them do the things I was expected to do. How to cut, color, style, consult, communicate, and much more. These are things that you can't expect to get so suddenly.

In all honesty I really hope that he finds his way in this crazy field. I for one have learned a lot from him. He has a lot of guts to just keep going. Also he believes in himself far more than I can ever say I believe in myself. I respect that.

Heartaches are often cured with cookies n milk!

No comments: